Monica fitted out with the borrowed sails on her mast & booms, ready to go to measure.
Just the bow bumper to fit. Weighes in about an ounce over the design weight!
Earlier on I made a mould and PJ cast a bearing head set for the Cheeky Girls, the pictures below are that headset now fitted with 14mm aluminium boom and kicking strap.
I had occasion to be in Bedford working recently and so popped to CM Yachts where Mike Clifton gave us his usual great service and we purchased a bunch of bits and pieces to supplement what we already have between us, for making the rigging and sails.
The main reason for going to Mike was to collect the 2.4m long masts in groovy 14.5mm aluminium, (we thought it was better to collect them ourselves than trust Postman Pat to do it!). PJ has adapted the mast end so that it drops onto the mast step in the bottom of the hull nicely and taken another picture of the bearing set this time on the mast.
I'm not sure what the bit of wire is next to the boom, something to do with the downhaul I expect, no doubt I will find out in the fullness of time.
and finally we contacted Bill Green a Six Metre class measurer and have a tentative date to get the girls put in the tank at Bournville a week on Thursday. We are not expecting them to sail through, I am sure there will need to be some adjustments required to get them sitting on their correct waterlines as it is just so tricky to get it right first attempt.
PJ couldn't resist sending me these couple of pictures of Monica with the mast in position complete with stays.
Like two excited schoolboys on a first date, we took Monica down to the canal and on the tow path underneath the bridge we laid her gently in the water for the first time.
We took some talcum powder so that we could establish where she was sitting on her water line, all looks well, we don't think we are too far away and so onwards and upwards we now have most the parts to make a suit of sails and then we will be ready for measuring!